Friday 13 May 2011

Slickity Jim's Chat 'N' Chew


Slickity Jim’s Chat ‘N’ Chew

Slickity's has long been an institution in Mount Pleasant, and the city's egg-eaters mourned it's loss to flame last year. 
But, joy of joys, they're back!
In a new location a few blocks south, Slickity's has been open for about a month.
When I first came to Vancouver I was a student, with all of the financial accoutrements that entails; i.e. I was really fucking broke.
As such, I didn't have the opportunity to eat at the old Slickity Jim's, or anywhere other than the food bank, for that matter.
But, times have changed, and I am no longer broke, just poor, so I will not miss out on Slickity's this time 'round (the in-laws also footed the bill).

I ordered the Breakfast of Broken Dreams - a delightful benny variant comprising the usual poached eggs on English muffins, but served with fresh spinach, caramelized onions, and an absolutely delicious gorgonzola sauce.
Unlike other egg joints I've reviewed - Paul's Place and Ouisi - there is little bad to be said about this place. Both of the aforementioned joints didn't even bother to ask how I would lie my eggs, and delivered them brutally overcooked. Our server not only asked how I wanted my eggs poached, but they arrived perfectly soft poached!
Woot!
My partner ordered the Huevos Rancheros and it looked delicious; the server neglected to inform her that the plate was smoking hot, a potentially dangerous oversight, but no injuries were sustained. I sampled the chili, and it was nice - nothing out of the ordinary, but good.
The service was prompt, and the servers actually knew the menu!
The ingredients were fresh and prepared nicely, save for the randomly tossed mint sprig garnish buried under my English muffins.
I am not accustomed to these trivial but necessary niceties at most of Vancouver's brunch joints.
Hell, at Naam not only do they serve absolutely tasteless gruel, assuring you that it's fresh made chili, or curry, or whatever, but the servers actually seem put out by your being in their restaurant, and they ignore you accordingly. Also, any menu inquiries undoubtedly receive the rote "I'll have to ask the kitchen" reply.

The only beef I have with Slickity Jim’s is with my side of spuds and my cup o' mud. The taters were simply par-boiled and finished on the griddle top without much in the way of seasoning - perfectly acceptable if they are at least cooked to crispy; mine were soggy and boring. The coffee was pretty standard fare for reasonably-priced brunch joints, i.e. palatable - not weak, at least, but not good quality coffee.
Everything else was quite pleasant.
Quite, Mount Pleasant, even.

(*groan*)

Fuck The Naam. That place sucks more than that last remark.
Go to Slickity Jim’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment